Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Four Tips For Writing Children's Educational Stories

Visit the Home of the Fightin’ Bookworms! I am writing a book about a character I previously introduced in another of my short stories, Cindy the Story Teller I suppose I enjoyed the character so much I decided to use her again in another short story. It also helped that I received a lot of positive fed back about the character of Cindy. Hopefully if this works out, I will continue to use her character in a series of short stories. Instead of telling fairy tails however, this time I am giving her stories of educational value. Hopefully younger children will learn something from Cindy's stories.

Since today is Saturday, I did a lot of my research. I have this routine I do on the week ends and research is one of them. This is not the first day I've done research for this project, but today I spent a lot of time on it. I dare not get anything wrong in writing this story. I'm pretty sure I now have enough research completed on my topic to be well on my way.

Helpful tips for writing an educational story for children.
1) Know your niche. Make sure the story is approprote for the age group you plan to write for. The niche I write for are children between the ages of 10 to 14. Therefore I am constantly looking at subjects that are of interest to them. I am also a poet and I use the same principle when I am writing poetry.
2) KISS..... Keep the facts straight and simple. Don't give too much information about the subject because you wouldn't want to lose your audience. Just make sure to write about all the important things concerning it in a simple lighthearted, yet factual way.
3) Research, research, and research some more....that goes with keeping your facts simple and straight. Good research helps you to keep your credibility and respect as an author.
4) Use illustrations as necessary. When writing an educational story for children, the illustrations are what helps to tell the story (as in other types of stories as well) They are colorful and draws more attention to the subject. So it is important to have good illustrations to go along with your important book.

Those are the important tips for writing an educational story for children. I hope I've been of some assistance to you.

If anyone is interested in reading Cindy the Story Teller, please visit my page on the author's den at: www.authorsden.com/carolynsands Also if you like poetry, go take a look at some of my work at: www.motivationalpoetry.webs.com

Thanks for your interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment