Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Musical Words

I continue to be amazed at the music simple words could make. No big deal or much fuss either, but a lot of rhythm and piazzas is noted. I'm talking poetry that can make a beautiful musical understanding of practically anything. This is nothing new of course. Words have been making music practically from the beginning of time.

The rhythm of words are a great teaching tool for kids too.
Teaching children could be very challenging but of all the jobs there is to do, in my opinion educating a child probably ranks number one. Capturing the interest of children can be tricky sometimes, so their curiosity must be peeked.

First let me clarify that I am an author/poet who happens to love writing in the children's genre as well as for the adults. I believer in the need to make their learning process both interesting and fun. But obviously we can't do that without capturing their attention.

This is nothing new. Rhyming words with teaching has been used successfully for years by a lot of great authors and teachers. I consider this to be one example of the saying: "If it is not broke, don't fix it." So I am only continuing to go with what works.

I notice when I rhyme things with my grand kids they tend to remember it a lot better. For example, if I should say that Abraham Lincoln was one of our most important presidents, to help them remember better I can say:

Abraham Lincoln was our 16th president.
He fought to end slavery and out it went.
In 1863 the slaves were finally set free;
He won a victory for you and for me.

My 4 year old grandchild knows that verse very well. Look at what she can tell you from learning this simple verse in less than 5 minutes:
1) Abraham Lincoln was our 16 th president
2) He worked to free the slaves
3)The slaves were freed in 1863

Poetry is incorporate when teaching practically anything. Look at this:

The solar system is awesome and grand.
With amazing planets you should know and understand.
Their names are Mercury, Venus, earth, and mars.
And all should be studied with the highest regards.
Then there is Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune
Two of these planets are without moons.

These poems could be changed as you would like. They can give more information, or make a better rhyme. but the trick is to keep it simple with only a few short lines (the fewer the better) and for only one verse.

Children like the rhymes....the beat of the words. It is much like music, don't you think?

You can visit my website and read excerpts from my new book of motivational poetry at: www.motivationalpoetry.webs.com

Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment